Artist Corinna Spencer answers a few questions

CORINNA SPENCER
www.corinnaspencer.com


Can you describe your practice in a few words?
I am a painter. My paintings are on paper or canvas, usually small but large in number and are of and about women, love, obsession and mourning.

Have you shown your work in a non-white cube space before?
Yes

What does this sort of space bring to your work?
In the past, when exhibiting my work in a non traditional gallery setting. I have a greater flexibility in the way my work has been installed, this often means I can show my work in unusual ways.

Does the environment in which you exhibit your work change how your work is percieved?
I think it can to some extent. For example a small painting framed on a white wall in a large space will seem different when placed among a hundred hanging directly from a ceiling. While a hundred paintings, unframed, in a group on a smooth white wall changes things again. Everything from the size of the space to the surface of the wall or the type of frame can influence the feelings my paintings may evoke in the viewer. I like allowing different types of environments to play with my paintings in this way.

What is your greatest weakness?
Cake.

What place does portraiture play in your work?
Portraiture plays a central role in my work at the moment. I'm enjoying layering paint to make complicated expressions that somehow havevery little detail.

What projects do you have coming up in the future?
I will be showing a few hundred portraits from 'Strange and Romantic' a series of 1000 imaginary women and a large group of new drawings in 'You Are Here' a group show at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery, opening on 4th March 2018 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Mark Jackson answers a few questions

FACE TO FACE